Saturday, August 15, 2009

My Weekly surprise


No, the picture doesn't have anything to do with the title. Couldn't resist posting it because it's me and Noel and it's coming up to three years since I visited the dream factory.

What I wanted to bang on about today is jumping through hoops - which I did in order to get on Deal Or No Deal. But today's hoops are My Weekly's. We all ask each other if the new guidelines are out yet, we seach womagwriter for the latest 'wants' from MW, we all try to remember to get the word count right and put the category on the outside of the envelope and then we all sit back and wait for six months to hear how we've done.

Well, last night I heard from a friend who rarely tackles short fiction and she told me, delightedly, that she'd had a story accepted by MW. I was impressed and asked her which type and length she'd gone for. She didn't know what I was on about. She'd never seen any guidelines. She'd simply written a story, shoved it in an envelope and sent it off. 'Didn't you write anything on the outside of the envelope?' I asked. 'No! Was I supposed to?' came her reply. And guess what, short fiction writers? She had an acceptance within a few days. So what do you all make of that then?

8 comments:

  1. Pah! Beginner's luck!

    Seriously, well done to your friend. She must have hit the right tone, the right style, the right subject. The word-counts and remember-double-quote-marks and category-in-email-header are for us seasoned writers. She'll have to follow the rules next time, bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glynis Scrivens16 August, 2009 01:27

    It's hard getting used to their new system, even after all these months. It was so much nicer to get one of their "We love your story and it breaks our hearts not to be able to accept it this time". Now we just have to assume it didn't suit them after 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, womag, but I couldn't help feeling a bit miffed, even though I was really pleased for my friend at the same time. However, I have now come up with a cunning plan. All we all need to do is use a new name for every story submitted. Voila! No hoops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just goes to show that even if you don't follow their guidlines to the letter there's still hope, Lynne!

    I must admit that I'm terrified about submitting my short stories to My Weekly. It;s their guidelines - they look so vicious and scarey, very restrictive and unwelcoming. I mean I have submitted to them - after lots of nausea and panic attacks, but I'm never happy about it.

    Well done to your friend, though. There's hope for me after all!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture!

    The fact that MW accepted the story so quickly means it must have been very good - whether it fitted in with their current guidelines or not.

    There is a moral to this story - I'm just not sure what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It means it's still ok to break the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, thanks for that, Diane. I am SO good at breaking rules.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe your game was 3 years ago. Where's the time gone?

    Well done to your friend (am only a little bit green).

    :-)

    ReplyDelete