Sunday, August 30, 2009

Busy Doing Nothing

It's one of those times when I don't feel like writing anything new. My ink-sister, Glynis Scrivens, suggested sending out some old stories. We've both sent out stories that have been lurking in our files for several years, and we've both had some of them accepted. It sounded good to me. It was working without actually working, if you know what I mean.
While I was at it I decided to tidy up the files on my computer - delete stuff I no longer needed, move things around so that I could find them more easily next time they were needed. See? I'm working but not actually producing. And then up popped an article I'd written and sent off only once, and that was almost two years ago. How could it have been forgotten? And later I discovered an unpublished story hiding away in the wrong place. It should have been in the For Sale file. That was emailed off. Later still a little letter peeped out at me and I got hold of it and kicked it into the ether in the direction of Real People. Quite a productive day doing nothing really.

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of having a 'for sale' file! I keep meaning to go back through my rejected stories to see if I can do anything with them, but I haven't found the courage yet.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like days like that. There's always lots of entries in my 'submissions' book on days like that, even though there may not have been much writing done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I envy you! I made a list of what I had to do today over and above what was necessary, if you see what I mean! Twelve items on the list, and how many have I crossed off as complete? One.. Call that productive. Still, there is always tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie. Go through those stories now. You don't think we all get stories accepted first time, do you? No. They do the rounds. Use my 24 hour rule. If a story comes back unwanted then you have 24 hours to do any changes and send it out to a new home. I gave this advice to a friend, Elizabeth Moulder, and she has sold loads of stories since. Give it a go. You've nothing to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanne, I grew up in a house where if you were sitting down you couldn't be working. I still get problems with this so what I consider a lazy day - sitting down, messing about, others think of as being productive. At least I now know why I consider myself lazy and I'm trying not to give myself that label.

    ReplyDelete