Saturday, September 05, 2009

The Whip-cracker

Yesterday I lost my mentor. Jean Currie died. I met Jean many years ago and she added me to her long list of writers to help. Jean had faith in me and when I told her I was about to start work in a dress shop she suggested I write a story a week instead, so I did and I made the same, or maybe more than I would have in a shop. I certainly enjoyed it more.
Over the years Jean has emailed me news of markets I had to write for, news of agents I had to write to, news of competitions I had to enter. She always encouraged me, was always there for me and I think she liked being called The Whip-cracker. I'm going to miss her.

3 comments:

  1. There'll only be one Jean and we were very lucky to know her. Now it's our turn to help other writers, the way she always helped us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness she gave you that advice, Lynne. What a lovely lady she sounds - I bet she was justly proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about Jean. We all need someone like this in our lives. At least you listened to her advice and put it into practice. Who knows what you'd be doing now in that dress shop if you hadn't!

    ReplyDelete