Saturday, October 03, 2009

Stick me to the seat

That's what writers need to do. Bum on seat and write. I need someone to force me onto that seat. The LSO does try but knows it's an impossible task. He'd sooner spin straw into gold. (I used that line in three stories which happened to come out in consecutive weeks and that was the first time I noticed the repetition. This is its first appearance on a blog.)
This week I have been stuck to my seat. Back pain meant I had to rest. My standing up time was only five minutes so there wasn't a lot I could do and leaving the house was out of the question. When I needed to sit, I really had to, whether it was bed, floor, stairs... Please don't feel sorry for me. I'm about to give my back a 40th anniversary. Part of my spine is in a jar in the living room and apart from a few years when I was cycling -non-load bearing exercise- I've been pretty idle in the exercise department.
This week has been brilliant. Unable to move about I've sat in my comfy chair at the keyboard and turned out four new stories and written up a couple of interviews. It reminded me of when I'd only had back problems for ten years and was complaining one day. My son, with 12 years of wisdom, said to me, 'Mum, if you didn't have a bad back, you wouldn't sit down long enough to write.'
That is so true. Perhaps, if my back pain goes sometime soon, I should pretend to the writer in me that it's still there and stick myself to this seat.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry yout back has beem troubling you, Lynne, and I hope it eases off soon. But at least you've been able to write! But talk about suffering for your art.

    It's true you have to stick your bum to the seat to get that writing done so maybe your bad back - in a strange way - is a blessing in disguise. It makes you sit down and then you write.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in my dish, Lynne and I hope you're out of pain soon but also hope you can convince your bum to stay on the seat.
    It was such a relief to read that you'd used the same line more than once - yay, I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glynis Scrivens04 October, 2009 22:26

    Why can't good experiences ever be blessings in disguise? We always have to suffer to get these benefits/epiphanies.
    4 stories - hmmm. Your back has done you a favour
    Relieved to hear you've repeated a line. I've been going over some old stories and found the same line in a few of them. You don't notice it at the time

    ReplyDelete