Wednesday, November 25, 2009

An Amazing Clock

This clock is the reason why we have to live in a detached house. It's got the loudest bong on the hour and half hour.
I bought it in a sale many years ago because it reminded me of the wall clock my grandparents had. Their clock used to fascinate me as a child and one of my Gran's expressions was that my Grandad loved me so much he'd give me the clock off the wall.
Once I'd bought the clock and carried it home the LSO hung it on the wall and wound it up. The first time it chimed we didn't know whether to laugh or scream. It was so loud that the wall seemed to vibrate. It should have been a church clock as it could be heard halfway along the road. The LSO suggested I took it back the next day and got a refund but when I got to the shop it was boarded up. You can guess what the family said. They all told me the shop owner had seen me coming. But we've grown to love the clock. It fits in with us. We never know what we are going to do next, and neither does our clock. It still ticks loudly and strikes every half hour but you can't trust it. It will strike as many times as it feels like it. Yesterday at five it struck four and at six it struck three, and that's why I love it. It's always up for a bit of fun. So far it's never struck thirteen but I live in hope.

6 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful clock, Lynne - but I can understand why you have to live in a detached house! I bet it sounds lovely though!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A clock with a personality - I love it, Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne

    I have an old Ansonia clock I inherited from my grandparents. It's dated around 1867, a bit battered, but it keeps reasonable time. I love to listen to it tick-tock during still moments because then, I am straight back in my grandparent's house. It, too, has a very loud 'bong' which can easily drown out the television or render the telephone useless in that particular room.

    Just like you though, we've come to accept ours a friend with a very loud voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful clock! My aunt in Australia has around thirty clocks that all chime and bong at different times - we don't get much sleep when we visit! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What with the watch you bought with your DOND winnings, that you can't actually see the time on, I've come to the conclusion that Lynne Hackles and timepieces do not mix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember carefully removing a battery from a clock like this when I stayed with my inlaws some years ago - just to get some sleep. I'd take it out at night as soon as they'd gone to bed, and get up in time to put it back in. Luckily they went to bed early!

    ReplyDelete