Wednesday, November 18, 2009

For LSOs Everywhere


It must be difficult to live with a writer. As a writer, have you ever considered what it's like for your other half? I call my husband the LSO, as many of you will already know. It stands for Long Suffering One. Here's a typical conversation with him.
Me: Why are you painting that wall green?
LSO: You said I could.
Me: I didn't.
LSO: When I asked you said, Mmmm, lovely.
Me: I thought you were asking if I wanted a cup of tea.
It can be problematic living in the same house yet on separate planets but I've come up with a solution. The LSO is being trained to become a PA. He's learning how to type by transcribing notes of our adventures in Win, the motorhome. I talked them onto tape. They go something like this.
Me: Look at that gorgeous blossom.
LSO: Forget the blossom. Look at the beeping map.
Me: Take a left, or is it a right? Hang on.
LSO: Hang on? How the beep do I hang on going around a roundabout?
And now I have pages and pages about our adventures complete with all the swearing.
So what's the photo about? We saw a horse on the horizon and as I'd rather like the LSO to beome personal photographer as well as PA I suggested he took a shot.
I think we should have a National Thank The LSO Day but possibly not in Nano month.

3 comments:

  1. Lynne, is this you from Writing Magazine!? Lovely blog, one way or the other! Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Lynne that resonated with me - the things I have agreed to whilst prancing around in my own little world. And they look so - well Long Suffering don't they when they say, "But you said yes," or "But I told you."
    I'm still trying to train mine to use a camera.
    I think a NTTLSO day is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make mine stop for photos - even when we're zooming along a highway. The magic words are - "a magazine might buy a photo of that - "
    Can't help myself - despite that look, which my LSO has down to a fine art too
    They never wear that look when the cheques arrive, do they?

    ReplyDelete