Friday, November 20, 2009

Here I Go Again


Yes, it's another post about Deal Or No Deal. Three years ago today I was in agony waiting for the show to be broadcast. I'd kept my win a secret since the show was filmed on October 11th.
Colin and I took a few friends out to lunch, then had to hang around until 4.15 when the local pub was going to show it on the Big Screen. I couldn't wait for everyone to know the outcome. Keeping quiet was doing me serious harm. Dave, the pub landord, was asked to give everyone a drink. 'But don't let it go over £50,' Colin whispered to him.
'Oh, I'm sorry,' said Dave, thinking I'd won a tiny amount - as he was intended to.
When it came down to those last two boxes everyone in the pub must have thought I'd got the 10p. But here's Noel giving me a big hug and telling me, 'You were fantastic.'
If you've seen the show and think all the contestants are a bit OTT with their comments about loving each other and missing each other then you're mistaken. It's a big thing in our lives and we're all in it together. A lot of us still keep in touch.
The show gave me more than £75,000. My confidence increased, I got over my phobia of cameras, and I made some new friends. And there's something about Noel Edmonds. He's such a professional and puts everyone at ease. I still begin each day with Gratitude. Thank you Noel. Thank you Deal or No Deal.

4 comments:

  1. What an exciting thing to happen. It must have been really hard not saying anything - I sometimes wonder about that, because I know that most of these shows are filmed in advance, so well done! Great to know you got so much more from the experience than the money too :o)

    (Did you get a story from it?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen.
    Of course I got a story from it! I wrote it up for a motorcaravan magazine. It was difficult to sell it to many places because all contestants have to sign a contract and there are things we cannot discuss. I get a story out of everything, even my husband's heart attacks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad all that positivity and kindness amongst the contestants is for real - it always comes across as being genuine.

    I was on the edge of my seat for your game - and so pleased when your box was opened.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. We get Deal or no Deal in Australia too, also with a good host. Reading your blog has made me wonder why no one in my family has ever tried to actually be one of the contestants. Must be such a buzz

    ReplyDelete