Saturday, November 07, 2009

A quote for writers

"Writers seldom need shrinks. Their typewriters serve as couches."
Yes, it's an old quote and it's from one of my favourite writers, Lois Duncan. You'll need to replace typewriter with keyboard to bring it up to date. It's a bit like "better out than in" which is what my Mom always used to say. She said it when I wrote stories as a child wreaking revenge on friends who had upset me. She said it when my little brother drew scary monster pictures on the wall.
Another quote I like was from a friend who told me, "You're too scatty to go batty." I hang onto that one.
Years ago I bought a tiny little book (3 x 4 inches in Olde English) and started writing down quotes, bits of verse, anything that inspired me. I've got the Henry Ford bit written there, mentioned in a previous blog. Here's the whole thing.
Someone once said to Henry Ford, "Isn't your son lucky?"
"Yes," replied HF, "and the harder he works the luckier he gets."
That little book often provides solace and inspiration. You should get one and I'll share some of my quotes with you over forthcoming blogs.

6 comments:

  1. Lynne

    Writers also tend to become much more philosophical over the years. Sometimes we forget how much we're taking on board (your 'tiny little book', for instance) because we're concentrating on our creative output, don't you think?

    I'm looking forward to more of those quotes in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the times I too have wreaked revenge mwahahaha . . .

    I love the Henry Ford quote.

    I'm with Martin - looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's extremely healing, Lynne and Teresa, to get your revenge by writing about,getting published and, this is the icing on the cake, getting paid for it, on those less 'enlightened' members of society we sometimes come in to contact with who have made it their mission to get on our wick!

    I love books and articles that give satisfying writer's quotes like the ones you mention, Lynne. Are you not going to get your little book of writer's quotes published?

    Julie - off to wreak revenge on people who have annoyed her! xx

    PS I originally spelt 'wreak' as 'reek' until I realised that meant I was going to 'stink'them out! Maybe that's not a bad idea after all! Instead of writing my revenge all the time - a more immediate satisfaction would to make some kind of a smell that lingers in their nostrils for weeks!
    Hey ho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and thoroughy enjoyed it. Writing is a big part of my job, but I have plans to become freelance, soon as the regular pay's not so dire. I will follow you and hope to learn how to make the writer's life work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Dreamfarm Girl.
    I'll try and point you in the right direction and feel free to ask questions any time. I can certainly tell you all about dithering, not having confidence, and sitting in front of a blank screen until your bum goes numb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quote, Lynne. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete