Monday, November 16, 2009

A quote to suit the weather

Seeing as the surrounding countryside is now a mystery - where are the fields and which bit exactly is the river? - perhaps we should be thinking about building a boat. I chose a boat quote for today. It's from Barry Sheene.
'Don't wait for your ship to come in; swim out and meet the bloody thing.'
He was right, you know. It's no use sitting around hoping to become a writer. You have to get out there, or at least get your work out there. You have to keep working towards your goal - swimming out to meet it.
Two months ago I didn't have a single piece of work 'out there'. Today I have thirty-nine. Stories, articles, letters and a couple of book proposals. So do my arms ache from typing, or swimming?

3 comments:

  1. My arms ache too, Lynne! Well done on getting your thirty nine pieces of work out there! What's your boat like? I know it's a pretend boat but I'd like to know - if you had a boat what would it be like? Would it be a luxury yacht, a barge, or a old tug?

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be a pirate boat of course. A good old fashioned one just like the one Captain Pugwash had. Not that I'm saying he was a pirate. Definitely cannons and a Jolly Roger, and a plank!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic quote, I love it. 39 out there - wow, well done! Must get swimming myself.

    ReplyDelete