Friday, November 13, 2009

The uninvited editor

Some of you NaNoWriMo-ers might find this useful.
Once upon a time I thought it would be fun to write a novel and I managed the first chapter no probs. Then the Uninvited Editor kept pestering me. 'You can't say this, you can't say that. And what the hell is all that about?'
A little later my Mother joined him. (Don't know why my inner editor should be male.) She stood peering over my shoulder when I was doing the sex scenes. 'Oooh, our Lynne. That's disgusting.'
How did I get rid of them? I decided to be someone else. I chose a name that had absolutely nothing to do with me or any of the family. I gave myself a new look. I gave myself new parents. Joan Collins was my Mum and the actor who played Indiana Jones (his name now eludes me - it is early morning) became my Dad. Liberal parents. I got so into the part of this new taller, slimmer, sexy, confident me that no-one could bother me when I wrote.
Try it and see.
I had to cut the sex scenes. My agent said it sounded as if I was enjoying myself too much!

5 comments:

  1. Tee hee! I have an uninvited editor and he sounds like Kenneth Williams! Don't ask me why. It's just the way he is!

    I tied him up and shoved a gag in his gob and bungled him into the cupboard under my stairs until I've finished NaNo. I do open the door and in one swift move I yank the gag out of his gob and stuff a sandwich in there or something else to eat, three times a day so he doesn't starve, and when he's finished I stuff the gag back in his gob, before he has chance to start his nagging and whinging!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting idea. I've never spoken to my inner editor 'face to face' before but he's there for sure (why is he a he? How infuriating is that!) I'm going to do something about him right now. Thanks for an interesting and amusing blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne

    Food for thought on how to banish the uninvited editor.

    Have just ordered your book today, so looking forward to more nuggets. Thanks for sparking the idea of getting my own efforts published, by the way. I'm going to investigate how that might happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harrison Ford. But not as my dad, oh no. The younger version, Star Wars era, as my lover, ahem. Scuse me while I nip off and write some sex scenes with that thought in mind...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gags me is the thought that my children might read something and feel upset that I'd written it. There's always pseudonyms, of course

    ReplyDelete