Monday, November 09, 2009

Why write?

I bet we've all wondered about that one at some time or another. A friend tells me she's just back from a week away and found five rejections waiting for her. I'm reaching the stage where I need a fix. I must have an acceptance soon. I get the jitters without a regular fix.
So why write?
The late Erma Bombeck reckoned:- 'Why I'm a writer: I'm too old for a paper-round, too young for social security, too tired for an affair, and too clumsy to steal.'
Moi? I've had over fifty jobs that I can actually remember. There are many more that I didn't stick long enough for them to make an impression on the memory cells. Finally the realisation dawned that I was unemployable. Since then I've been writing. There may be rejections along the way but there's nothing like seeing your work in print, and even better getting some response to it.
Last week I was showing someone around our house, with a view to buying it, and she saw my book, Racing Start, sitting on the shelf. (My books are arranged cover facing out.) 'Wow!' she said. 'Did you write that?'
'Yes,' I said, and reminded her it was published back in 1991.
'I must have read that at least three times. I loved it,' she replied.
And that's why I'm a writer!

4 comments:

  1. Nothing like gaining a positive affirmtion from your readers. I bet it spurred you on!

    Onwards and upwards!

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's lovely and I can relate to it. When someone pays out money for something you've written (whether an editor or a reader) it's such a buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
    謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我

    參觀,Thanks

    ReplyDelete