Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Tanabata

It's Tanabata today. A Japanese tradition when people write their wishes on coloured paper and hang them on bamboo branches outside their house.
No bamboo here. There are trees and various shrubs in the communal gardens but the neighbours might get concerned if I start pegging multi-coloured scraps covered in writing on them and I don't want the neighbours reading my wishes, or the birds using them for target practice. So I've customised Tanabata to suit me.
There's a palm plant in the dining room. That's my bamboo. It looks very pretty today. The splashes of colour give it an extra beauty.
Will my wishes come true? Of course they will - if I believe enough.

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely tradition. I've seen money (jade) trees tied with red ribbons, but never coloured paper on bamboo. I don't have bamboo either, whether real or adapted, or coloured paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely, Lynne. I hope your wishes all come true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. They do say that dreams do come true if we really want them to. Here's hoping for yours. I might even try some for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm off to the garden centre for some bamboo. (I've decided that a bamboo cane could come in useful at Caerleon, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glynis Scrivens09 July, 2010 03:38

    We've got some sacred bamboo in the garden hmmm wonder if that's extra potent?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOOh! Mr Whaley, Sir. Looking forward to it. I'll tell AL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a lovely tradition - I have bamboo in my garden, or rather I did until we got our latest puppy - she eats it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nooooooo! I missed Tanabata Day!

    ReplyDelete