Friday, November 12, 2010

Do you know what it is yet?


'I've got a present for you,' said the LSO. He'd been for a walk and he could have passed shops but this wasn't from any shop.


It was a tentacle. I can't call it a branch because it doesn't look like one. Tentacle is far more suitable and it had been blown off a monkey puzzle tree.


Here's a close up. Brush it one way and it's quite smooth. Try in the opposite direction and you know why it's the only tree a monkey can't climb!

It's the best present I've had in a long time. I love it. Now all I need is a monkey.

6 comments:

  1. Is this a job advert? If so, what's the rate of pay? I'm only applying, if the money's right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know what I'm putting on my Christmas list :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought they were called monkey puzzle trees because they look like a tangle of monkey tails. It seems I was wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Googled the name, Frances, and I was wrong too. Apparently when they were introduced to Britain in 1850 someone said the tree 'would be a puzzle to a monkey', and that's where the name came from. But my Dad told me they were the only tree a monkey couldn't climb and I've believed him ever since. I've certainly never seen a monkey up one. Not that we get many monkeys in Malvern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look even stranger up close than they do from a distance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never seen a Monkey in Malvern? You do lead a secluded life, don't you.

    ReplyDelete