Tuesday, March 29, 2011

In good company

I wasn’t expecting to make an appearance in Jane Wenham-Jones’s new book, Wannabe a Writer We’ve Heard of. I had forgotten I’d written a piece for her to include. This book, a follow-up to Wannabe A Writer, is all about getting publicity once you’ve had a book accepted, and there are lots of ideas I shall be using. It was good to see my Deal Or No Deal experience in the section on how to get on television. I was about to use Jane’s tips on how to get on to radio when the most unexpected thing happened. An email arrived asking if I would be prepared to be interviewed about Writing From Life on Talk Radio Europe. It was to be a fifteen minute slot, live, on their Book Show. The email said that other writers interviewed included Marian Keyes, James Patterson and Fay Weldon. You can imagine my first words on reading that. After the expletives came the thought that this must be a hoax but I clicked on the website and there it was. Talk Radio Europe, Spain’s largest English speaking radio network, broadcasting to approx half a million listeners. www.talkradioeurope.com I said yes then read Jane’s tips on how to be prepared for all sorts of questions and, on the day, waited for the phone call. It seemed more of a friendly chat than an interview, thanks to Hannah Murray who appeared really interested in what I had to say. The LSO, listening in downstairs on the laptop, reckoned I did all right and there weren’t too many umms and arrs but I have to admit that doing this via a telephone was far more daunting than any face to face interview.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Congratulations Lynne. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was surprised to find myself mentioned in Jane's book too!

    Telephone radio interviews are intriguing! I had to do one which was recorded in the morning, for broadcast later on in the evening. I had to pretend it was 'live', by saying 'Good evening' and 'thank you for talking to me tonight'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed this, Lynne. Good for you! Many moons ago, I was 'guest of the day' on a Radio Devon/Cornwall programme. My slot was sandwiched between Sir Anthony Parsons (former ambassador to Argentina, and Nyree Dawn Porter). Reg Brookes, the producer, calmed my nerves, and it seemed to be over in a flash. I still have the 45 mins on tape somewhere, complete with dodgy music interludes, not chosen by me.

    Did you record it?

    ReplyDelete