Friday, March 25, 2011

More tales of the unexpected

My Gran always used to say, ‘You never know what’s around the corner’. I wrote a story with that title once. The message though is that life is full of surprises and we should enjoy and make the most of the good ones. It’s my belief that writers get more surprises than non-writers. Why? Because we send work out into the unknown and there’s no way of telling what might come back. Yes, it might be a rejection but it could be an acceptance and a reason to celebrate, or a request for more work, or a letter from someone who has read your work and written to you. I’ve had all of the above. One such letter came from a long-lost cousin of the LSO’s. She lives in Australia but has been over to visit twice so far. Another was from another lost relative, this one from New Zealand. And, of course, I got my sister, Glynis Scrivens, via my writing.

3 comments:

  1. You're quite right about writing and surprises, but I see it more as a kind of roller-coaster. Waiting - disapointment - waiting - bad news - waiting - good news etc etc

    I still wonder why we do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Writing is always full of surprises and you never know when the next acceptance is going to come or where it's going to come from! Despite the rejections we still love writing.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true. That 'rollercoaster' adrenalin rush is what keep sme going. Even when a story is rejected, I still get a little jolt when opening the email/letter.

    Oh dear lord, I think I'm an addict. Maybe I should change the name of my blog hahaha

    ReplyDelete