Thursday, August 18, 2011

Censoring

I was in a second-hand bookshop yesterday when one of the volunteers proudly announced that she had ripped up a children's book because it was unsuitable.
I had to walk out before I said anything but later, calmer, I returned and asked why. I was given the torn covers of the best-selling book for parents, called Go The F*ck To Sleep. I explained that it wasn't a children's book but one written by a parent for parents who'd had a child like mine - one who didn't sleep for more than two hours at a time for the first three years of her life.
And then I walked out before I started on about how she might like to start a trend and build a few book bonfires...

4 comments:

  1. It amazes me that people who work in book shops so often seem to know little about the books they sell. Well done for (a) not losing your rag and (b) taking the trouble to explain about the book to the assistant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the next step would certainly include bonfires of books. This is 2011...isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Id like to invite you folks to come to Amish Stories for a recipe for "Famous Pennsylvania Dutch Sticky Cinnamon Buns" along with a book signing schedule for Amish fiction writer Wanda Brunstetter for Pennsylvania and Ohio as well as a contest to meet her. I hope everyone so far is having a great weekend. Thanks everyone. Richard from Amish Stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graham Peacock21 August, 2011 19:13

    Perhaps she had just read Fahrenheit 451 and decided to set up her own bonfire action group.

    ReplyDelete