Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Being positively productive


Thank goodness for Simon Whaley's book, The Positively Productive Writer. I read it from cover to cover in one sitting whilst saying things like, 'I do that', 'I used to do that and will start again', 'I ought to do that', 'I'll do that in future'... You get the picture. It's all positive stuff meant to keep writers going as opposed to teaching them how to write. I'll be reading it again. And again. It's the kick up the backside I so often need. You need it too. You know you do.
It's also helped me to realise that these last three weeks of no writing don't matter. I will catch up now that I have a new computer - the old one had a fatal illness. It's taken me a while to choose a new one and get it organised. One problem was I'd never de-fragged the old desktop so many files are in the wrong places. As Betty says, 'De-fragging doesn't sound like something a lady would ever do.' I didn't back up often enough either. Now I'm paying for it.
So with the sound advice from Simon and some words from The Universe - 'Turn up and keep taking baby steps' (see www.tut.com for your daily message) I am ready to dazzle my way through 2012. The brightness began with an acceptance from Fiction Feast. I had a 100 percent success rate with short stories last year. I wrote five and sold five. Must write more this year. For some reason I stopped writing them. Unlike my sister, Glynis Scrivens, who in 2011 sold 57 stories. What an inspiring sister to have. You're glowing, Glynis!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a Very Good Book. Do I really need another book about writing? I think I do!

    Congratulations on the new computer - I love mine, but I still find myself grappling with the new Word.

    And 100% is 100% - you're already dazzling x

    ReplyDelete
  2. And as Betty is a lady, I hope she has a man to do her de-fragging for her ;-)

    Go Glynis, with the short stories. Now there's positive target to aim for: A Heinz of short story successes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Simon's book on his Twitter feed and thought I may well need it - especially since by the 5th of January I'd already had two rejections. Not exactly the stellar start I'd hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Congratulations Lynne. That's fantastic.
    Simon's book now on my book list to order!
    57??!! Cor . . .
    Oh horrid start Maxi. Onwards and upwards
    Happy, healthy and successful 2012 to you all xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a cracking book, Lynne! It go me going again after feeling a bit I-can't-do-it before Christmas. Oh yes I ruddy can! A 100% success rate is impressive as is Glynis's 57! If only - eh! Mind you, won't get 'em published if we don't get 'em written.

    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simon's book does sound good; must put that on my 'to buy list'. I agree with Teresa, 100% is 100%. And how well did Glynis do..WOW! All the best to you for 2012 Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Lynne

    Thought I would stop by and say hello, having seen your comment on Simon Whaley's blog.

    Will definitely keep popping back to see how your short stories are going!

    Here's hoping for a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2012 (and beyond!)

    Bev Morley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your great blog and all your pieces in Writing. I've nominated you for the Irresistibly Sweet Blog award as a thank you. Just hop over to http://scribblermaxi.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-sweet.html to collect it :)

    ReplyDelete