Tuesday, April 24, 2012

After T for Talc-man comes U for...


Well, who would have thought that the rump of a bird, the bit that holds the tail feathers, has a name, besides rump or bottom? It’s called an Uropygium. And as Frances Garrood, over on her blog used N for Nuns I am going to add U for Unnun. It’s what happens to a nun when she gets thrown out of the convent.
And, in case you are beginning to think I am in some way related to Stephen Fry because of all these wonderful words I know, I confess a friend bought me a copy of a little book called Foyle’s Philavery – a treasury of unusual words (collected by Christopher Foyle). And it certainly is what it says on the cover.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds much posher than the parson's nose!
    Foyle's Philavery sounds wonderful :-) x

    ReplyDelete