Sunday, April 08, 2012

A-Z April challenge. H

There’s a lot of hornswoggling going on in cyber-space. I get so fed up with people warning me of terrible viruses that are going to eat the innards of my computer and turn it into scrap metal (is there any metal in them nowadays?). I don’t like emails telling me that I should lock the car when Ibuy petrol in case a rapist hides in the back. I wish people would go to www.hoax-slayer.com before they send me these terrible warnings. Some people get genuinely frightened by them so I urge everyone to check before sending them out because nearly all of these dire warnings are hornswoggle.
Hornswoggle – to cheat, deceive or hoax.

3 comments:

  1. Hornswoggle? I thought that was a word from one of the Harry Potter books. I know it was the name of an American wrestler - lovely word to wrestle with,though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hornswoggle was originally North American slang, Graham. JKR once said she had used words from many sources.

      Delete
  2. Glynis Scrivens09 April, 2012 07:35

    Those emails sound like a lot of hogwash, Lynne. This April challenge will be interesting, especially when you get to the tricky letters like X and Z

    ReplyDelete