Friday, May 18, 2012

Coral Flair


I should be writing but the house move means there are other creative things to do. A look at the Dulux colour guide has convinced me I need a Coral Flair feature wall in order to inspire creativity in my writing room. This will mean that the green carpet will have to go. How I wish someone at the Labour Exchange (that’s Job Centre in Olde English) had suggested I train for interior design work but it didn’t exist back then. I only had two choices – to go into the carpet factory or work in an office. I went to the offices of the Kidderminster Shuttle as a junior. For those who won’t know, the Shuttle is the name of the Kidderminster newspaper.
I digress. Back to Coral Flair. Before it can go on the feature wall there are cracks to fill then sand down. Furniture needs moving. Certain things need dust sheets to cover and protect them. All the  boring preparation stuff has to be done before I can dip my brush into the colour that will inspire me over the coming months and years.

Does anyone know how to get a job making up the names and descriptions of paint colours? I could fancy that.

6 comments:

  1. I HATE the preparation. Himself has always done that and if he's not inspired to get on with it .....:o(

    Sounds a lovely job Lynne! Can't help with how to go about getting it but good luck anyway xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh the preparation - my most hated bit! Coral Flair sounds lovely.

    Speaking of names, have you seen how many names they have for magnolia these days?!

    My first proper job was working for an interior designer - I was there for two weeks then half the staff staged a walkout and I went with them and I can't even remember why! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a poast on the subject of colour names ages ago. It always amuses me that you might well buy paint named "Meadow Green" or "woodpigeon", but would you buy the same paint if it were labelled "dung" or "fog"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, why is it that when it's a paint colour, you'll put it on your walls, but you wouldn't put the original meaning of the colour name on your walls? (Dulux have a colour called Field Mous, but who'd paint their walls with field mice?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glynis Scrivens23 May, 2012 23:59

    My father was a colour consultant and interior designer, and creating each new season of colours - and naming them - was part of his job. I remember when we were kids, we'd be sitting at the kitchen table brainstorming names with him. I guess he was lucky to have five children to brainstorm with.
    Paint preparation doesn't sound that much different to writing, when you think about it. To get the final result you want, there's a lot of plodding to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynne,

    I like your site, you have some interesting posts. My site My Perfect Pitch compliments yours, consisting of interesting articles from a published author, and a free writers yearbook with over 1000 book publishers currently accepting submissions. Keep up the good work.

    Regards, Brian

    ReplyDelete