Friday, July 20, 2012

Stating the bleeding obvious

Why do so many television adverts and reporters and commentators state the bleeding obvious?
Here are a few examples.
It is what it is.
She wants what she wants.
Once they’re gone, they’re gone.
If they miss it, they miss it.
The talking point of the day is the talking point of the day.
I’ve heard all of these during the last few days.

And while I’m criticising this stupid waste of breath allow me to add what ‘Doing a Murray’ means in our house. Remember Murray Walker? He used to tell us what the Formula 1 drivers were thinking and now lots of commentators do this. They are supposed to be sports commentators not clairvoyants.

4 comments:

  1. What clever people! To know what others' are thinking is the golden grail isn't it? But then sports commentators talk a lot of rot anyway, in my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it is the new fashion to say everything twice, everything twice :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've reminded me of an old joke.

    Customer in chip shop: "Cod and chips, twice!"

    Chip shop proprietor: "I heard you the first time!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynne, I can't stand all this 'yeah yeah yeah,' and 'no, no no.' As if we're daft or something.

    ReplyDelete