Monday, September 10, 2012

Red tomatoes help you write


The phone rings. It’s Betty. ‘I hope I haven’t disturbed you,’ she says. She’s a writer too (Elizabeth Moulder whose stories will have made you laugh out loud if you read them in Woman’s Weekly.)
‘You’re not writing, are you?’she asks.
     ‘No. I’m in-between Pomodoras,’ I tell her.
     ‘Beep, beep,’ says Betty. ‘What the hell is a Pomowotsit?’
     ‘It’s Italian for tomato,’ I tell her. ‘I’ve got a red plastic one. A kitchen timer thingy and I set it for 25 minutes and have to work for that time. Then I get a five minute break. You’ve caught me on my break.’
     ‘And does it work, this stop/start method?’
     ‘It’s working for me at the moment. Not too sure if I was writing a novel and got in the flow.’
     I don’ tell her that I read about this method and stopped working until I had my kitchen timer. The LSO went in search of one but could only find white. It had to be a red tomato and, a few days later, we found one in one of those cheapo warehouse places.
     If you want to know about the Pomodora Method, Google it. There’s a 45 page book on how to do it which is a helluva lot of pages to say work for 25 minutes, then have a break for five. It’s interesting though and free to download.
     I’m not just a butterfly writer, flitting from one subject to another. I’m a butterfly worker, happy to try out any new methods I chance upon.

10 comments:

  1. No! That would not be for me... It's the sitting down and starting that's the hardest bit! Once I get going I'm usually fine. To keep starting over every half hour or so would kill me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The theory is that no-one can fully concentrate for longer than 25 minutes. That'll be me, then!

      Delete
  2. I think I feel the same way as Pat does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's working for what I'm doing at the moment which is a book of tips for writers. I can write one or two tips in 25 minutes and then need some thinking time. Not sure if it would work for a novel but see comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting Lynne.. haven't heard this one. Thanks for the post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting method, Lynne, and good that it works for you. I use bribes - I can have another coffee when .....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find this method useful if I'm working on several things at once (which I usually am) as it helps focus me on one thing at a time - well it did work when I tried it, but then someone ran off with my timer. Maybe I need a tomato :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very gοod ωеbsіte yοu haѵe
    here but I wаѕ curious if уou knew of any forumѕ that cοver the ѕame tоpіcѕ ԁіsсuѕsed
    here? Ι'd really like to be a part of community where I can get feed-back from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Appreciate it!

    http://wirelessu.org/users/cctvsecuritypros
    my page - tens pain relief

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heуa this is kindа οf оff toρic but I was
    wondeгing if blogѕ usе WYSIWYG editогs oг if
    уou have to mаnuаlly сoԁe with ΗΤМL.
    ӏ'm starting a blog soon but have no coding expertise so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

    http://www.asknature.org/user/cctvsecuritypros
    Also visit my blog post ; OKC roofing companies

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweеt blog! I found it while ѕurfing arounԁ on Υаhoo
    Neωs. Do you haνe any suggestions on how to
    get listeԁ in Yаhoo News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Cheers

    https://twitter.com/i80equip
    Also visit my blog - bucket trucks for sale in california

    ReplyDelete