Friday, December 21, 2012

Having a laugh


Have you heard the one about the writer who ordered a book from Amazon and it arrived wrapped in ten feet of paper? It's true. I saw it on Book2Book today and for a second my heart flipped.
Why? Because that could have been me, using all that paper. I've had many boring jobs in my life and I've always tried to bring a bit of fun to them. I used to drop wrapped sweets into parcels I packed. I once cut off the bottoms of dozens of brown paper bags so that I could watch the other staff pack goods and see them fall to the floor. (You wouldn't want to employ me!) And I can just imagine me wrapping a skinny little book in several  yards of brown paper and then shoving it into a rather large box.

I am unemployable. That's why I'm a writer. I don't earn a fat lot but I do pay tax. Unlike Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of getting a surprise sweet in a parcel! But I have to admit that over-packaging is one of my pet hates. My husband recently ordered a couple of tiny flash drives which could have been sent in a small padded envelope, but they arrived in a large cardboard box filled with bubblewrap and pieces of polystyrene. I thought the company was being extra cautious about protecting its goods, but now I know the packer was just bored!

    ReplyDelete