Saturday, December 14, 2013

Let's get controversial


Happy Mithras everyone. And no, I'm not drunk or slurring my words.

Mithras was the son of god, born to a virgin on December 25th, died and rose again, had twelve devoted followers… Sound familiar? Mithras was alive about a millennia before Jesus.

I first met Mithras when reading a Merrily Watkins mystery by one of my all-time favourite authors, Phil Rickman. This one was called The Secrets of Pain. I love books that make you think and go and research some new thing you’ve encountered.
 
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. I love this kind of fact, Lynne, and often you come across them first in fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another book to add to my reading list then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should start with The Wine of Angels, Simon. It's the first in the series. I love the books but the added bonus for me is they are all set on the Welsh borders and Malvern appears too.

      Delete
  3. How interesting, so could be that whoever wrote the bible was committing plagiarism?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I might have to take a look - sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so interesting Lynne. Will add Phil Rickman to my list of authors! :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating - haven't heard of this particular myth!

    ReplyDelete