Monday, May 19, 2014

The secret life of Lynne (aged 9 years and 18 days)

 

My school diary began when I was nine. It was compulsory, each morning, to write about what we'd been up to. I wasn't always truthful but will tell you about that in future posts. The writing of it was no problem for me. My problem was that we were expected to include a picture. Looking at this ancient book I realise how clever I was at getting around the drawing of pictures problem - mine nearly all involve book jackets or food. My loves now are still reading, writing and eating. And now I open my secret life to you all. Here's a page from this ancient manuscript.
 

9 comments:

  1. Ah! Resourceful as ever, even then, Lynne!

    Oh The Mystery of the Disappearing Cat - I LOVED that story. In fact I loved ALL Enid Blyton's stories, Mallory Towers, The Adventure series, the Famous Five. Oh happy days! :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic that you've still got your diary. Your destiny was clear even then. I loved Enid Blyton x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, how cute. And what brilliant handwriting. You were born an author Lynne. And I remember that book as well. Hope to read more on the secret life of Lynne...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely memento to have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have given you a gold star if you would have been in my class. The amount of gruelling hours I have spent in the past to get 9 year olds to write neatly with correct puncuation and grammar. Beautiful work Lynne - GOLD STAR!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops - punctuation - a typo not a spelling error - honest :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a little red star, Nicola. It must have been from Miss Tipper - my favourite teacher of all time and the one who encouraged me in my dream to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had to do something similar, Lynne. I think I've got mine somewhere. But the one which might have been really interesting (at secondary school) I threw on the bonfire convinced it could only ever be embarrassing! I would love to read it now. Mind you, I might not have been able to decipher it anyway as it was in code. I was learning Russian at the time (failed it at O level, btw) and I used the Cyrillic letters and wrote a phonetic type of English!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wrote a diary until I was eighteen. Needless to say, the latter ones make me squirm a bit when I read them ( I wonder how the boy in the velvet jacket at the Salfords disco is?)

    ReplyDelete