Friday, July 18, 2014

Bucket lists and why I won't be making one


 I am not afraid of flying but I am terrified of being locked in, no matter how big the space. It could be a small cupboard or Wembley Stadium. I have always said that I would fly around the world if I could do it in an open topped plane, Biggles’ style, wearing a leather helmet and goggles. I suppose you could say that going up in a Tiger Moth was on my bucket list so imagine my surprise when one of those Special Offer companies who send out daily emails gave me the chance to do just that. I had my credit card at the ready and was about to sign up when I thought I should read the small print. It said no-one with a back problem would be allowed to fly. That’s me out. With only one lumbar disc left it would be silly to entertain the thought of goggles, helmet and Tiger Moth flight.
I asked my sister for her opinion. (Glynis Scrivens.)

‘As for the bucket lists and people doing crazy things in their old age - my take on this is why jeopardise your mobility? It's a “nothing left to lose” attitude, which I'd probably  adopt if I had a terminal illness. But these are risky activities and there are often reports of mishaps on the news. It's definitely an age to decide what we want to do with whatever time we have remaining, and things like holidays can't go on being postponed. Or writing a book. Or having a website. Or catching up with old friends. But why invite a life-changing accident?
Not for me.’

Nor me, Sis. So I won’t be making a bucket list but I have been helping an older friend with hers. Last year we went to An Evening Of Clairvoyance. She was able to tick that off. Now she tells me she’s never been to a Bingo Club. Online ones won’t do. I’m hoping she’ll ask another friend and I won’t have to accompany her on that one.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely hate loos in restaurants etc where there is no window or form of escape if the door sticks. I've been known to ask my husband to wait outside for me, just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure bucket list activities have to be risky. Writing a novel....well, I suppose it is a bit risky. But doing some voluntary work, visiting a special place, making an effort to make contact with an old friend - cant these go on the list? I'm not into risk, either, but have a rather messy bucket list, with nothing life-threatening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think bucket lists are things to do that would give you joy whatever they are. Some people adore risk and would get great pleasure from anything dangerous, whilst for others it's a new experience whatever that might be :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think 'bucket lists' and 'wish lists' are stupid. Why not enjoy the day and be glad to be alive..? I like thinking of things you've done and remembering, that gives me pleasure. And looking at our grown up children and thinking 'how lovely are they?' People with buckets and wishes need to grow up!!

    ReplyDelete