Monday, November 10, 2014

Secret Diary of Lynne (aged 9 and nearly a quarter)


Another page from my school diary today. Library visits happened two or three times a week. I would read in bed, in front of the telly, while I was eating, when I was walking to school. My mother would tell me to stop sitting around and do something which is strange because she was an avid reader too. Maybe what she really wanted was for me to read something other than Enid Blyton but I was addicted.

When I finally began finding The Famous Five etc a bit on the boring side I asked Mom what I should read and she handed me a huge book – Hatter’s Castle by A J Cronin. There were no teen books back then so we leapt from kids’ to adults’ reading material. Hatter’s Castle was the most wonderful experience and I remember crying when I read how the author, once he’d finished writing it, had attempted to burn his book on a garden bonfire. It was saved by his wife.

After that Mom introduced me to Isaac Asimov and Ray Bradbury and my love of reading was ensured.

8 comments:

  1. I adored all Enid Blyton's books. She inspired my love of reading which I never lost. I love that sense of anticipation of getting back to a story you've had to stop reading cos life's got in the way!

    I may have been an avid reader but I was a lousy writer (even worse now I type so much) and couldn't draw to save my life. So congratulations on the beautiful writing and illustrations :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Lynne. I loved Enid Blyton too :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely diary! I wasn't allowed Enid Blyton, as my mother considered her books badly written, so if I did come across them I fell upon them with unbridled glee. The one I couldn't stand when my own children were young was Noddy. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post. Aaww, you must have been such a cutie! (Of course, you still are :)). My favourite childhood book of all time has to be, The Little Grey Men by B.B. But I also adored Enid Blyton, her Magic Faraway Tree and Adventure series. Fabulous to reminisce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased that some of you are remembering your favourite books from childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was addicted to the famous five and my children were too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely writing, and pictures. My first Enid was Brer Rabbit and the Tar baby. I was hooked from then on. I read lots of them, and love the 'put em rights' do you remember them? And I loved those, The mystery of the..... lots of different ones. With the policeman, old clearorf.... I think the people who dismiss her books are only jealouse.

    ReplyDelete