Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Post something controversial


Post something controversial, says Brian Feinblum.
http://bookmarketingbuzzblog.blogspot.co.uk/
on his list of blogging suggestions. So here it comes. The following is from an NHS feed that arrives on my laptop, and has done since I bought it.

The global surge in ADHD [attention deficit hyperactivity disorder] diagnosis has more to do with marketing than medicine, according to experts. .
ADHD is being medicalised – that is, for a variety of reasons, children who may be simply "naughty" and high spirited are being misdiagnosed with ADHD, and are wrongly being treated with powerful medications such as methylphenidate, better known as Ritalin.  
This study concludes that the "global expansion" of ADHD and its subsequent medicalisation has been driven by five major causes:
drug industry lobbying
  • the influence of US-based psychiatry
  • the adoption of looser criteria for diagnosis
  • the influence of ADHD patient advocacy groups
  • the growth of information on the internet
This is a well-researched and interesting article which reflects current concerns about the medicalisation of symptoms that might be viewed as part of the human condition, rather than a disorder that needs drug treatment.

At the end of this it said it was an opinion piece and not the last word on this controversial subject. Here’s the last (controversial and maybe even tongue-in-cheek) word from me.
There were a couple of kids when I went to school who would be diagnosed with ADHD now. They were fortunate and got cured. The Headteacher’s cane worked a treat.

4 comments:

  1. I detest the labelling of kids behaviour. I once had a lovely child in my class who was, in my opinion, wrongly diagnosed and mediated for ADHD. This poor child changed from a smiley, fun-loving and active 9 year old to a withdrawn and sad little sole. It broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should read - medicated not mediated :)

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean, Nicola. I recall a little boy banging on the staffroom door one lunchtime asking for his ADHD medication (in the days when teachers were allowed to administer such things), saying - "I have to have it. I'm horrible if I don't have it!"

      Delete