Monday, February 23, 2015

More from Lynne's Secret Diary


Another diary extract from when I was 9 and a bit.

Several things occur to me when reading this. First is my love of food. I’ve always loved my grub, apart from meat. We were expected to illustrate each diary entry and I always opted for something easy. Food is quite easy to draw.

Second thought. My teacher corrected the spellings of two names. You will probably agree that the teacher’s name in that opening sentence would be quite a challenge to get right for any nine year old. As for Mr Benny, I actually think Mr Benni looks better.

Third thought. What freedom we kids had back then. I was always out and about with, or without, friends. We played in the street, went to the park, walked into town and visited the library without adult supervision. And we went home when it was dark or when our stomachs began to rumble.

4 comments:

  1. My sister and I used to go out on bike rides into the country, having picnics in fields and them coming home when it was dark. I must have been a similar age to you. How things have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have to go home when the street lights came on. I love reading your diary entries xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous diary entry again Lynne. Wasn't it wonderful the way we could roam. Don't kids miss out today. As you all did I used to go out for hours. I remember, when I had my own children, asking Mum 'didn't you worry about me?' 'I knew you'd be back when you were hungry,' she said. Those were the days eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, Lynne. We had a lot more 'play time' as children and were actually allowed to be kids. The games we used to make up in the street were fab. My favourite game was 'gutterball'. Did you ever play that? Nowadays though, I think there is far too much emphasis on homework and staying indoors at too young an age. I actually feel guilty giving out homework. All I really want to do is say, 'Go outside and play!'.
    What a lovely diary entry, Lynne. Such talent!

    ReplyDelete