Monday, May 25, 2015

I invented the skateboard - more from Lynne's Secret Diary

I remember this day so clearly. I’d been on about having roller-skates for ages but Mom wasn’t happy. She told everyone I was ‘accident prone’ and she was right. I was forever falling down the stairs, falling off my bike. Once I even fell through a window. Luckily we lived close to the hospital and its casualty department.
Here’s the entry from my school diary about my Dad finally giving in and buying skates for me.
And it wasn’t long after this that Mom was proved right. I didn’t tell her the accident was caused due to me inventing the skateboard. She assumed I’d fallen off my skates (plural as there were two, one for each foot). I didn't tell her I'd fallen off one skate because I'd balanced a short piece of wood over the top of it and set off from the top of the steepest hill near home (also quite close to casualty) and expected to reach the bottom intact. I didn’t. I soared and then fell. Two black eyes and a broken nose.

Many years later someone decided to fix the flat wood to the skate-wheels and made a fortune.
The picture shows the shop counter. Note the large glass ash-tray, front left.

7 comments:

  1. I broke my wrist after skating down the steep hill near my home - it sounds so lame now that I was wearing two skates and not even doing anything daring or innovative :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely handwriting. Proof you were never going to be a GP ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I broke my wrist roller skating too. Must be a thing amongst womagwriters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you illustrated your diary - clearly a magazine writer in the offing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stay well clear of contraptions with wheels - except for a well built, four wheeled car. Even then, beware! Feet firmly on the ground works best for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. An outside the box thinker even at that age Lynne!
    Love your diary extracts :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete