Monday, June 08, 2015

Fox, Wiggo and me.

Our fox doesn’t look too good. He’s lost his brush and his tail is now bare and rope-like. He can still move quickly though. As soon as he spotted me with the camera he disappeared at speed.



Talking of speed, I was cheering on Sir Bradley Wiggins last night when he beat the hour record. In my own tiny way, I know how much that hurts because when I was writing the original Racing Start (published by Blackie back in 1991 – the new fully updated version is now on Kindle) I did a time-trial for research purposes. I began the ten mile circuit in too big a gear and as fast as I could manage. Once out of sight of the start line I slowed, then I went faster and I kept up this slow, slow, quick, quick, slow pace until I reached a hill and had to get off and push. I reached the finish line, gasping for breath and with my heart jumping into my throat. At this point entrants are supposed to shout out their number. I didn’t have enough breath to do that but they clocked me in anyway at a massive 38 minutes – for ten miles. I had all the information I needed after that first ten miles but went on to compete in more time-trials until I got where I wanted – ten miles in thirty minutes.  That would translate to 20 miles per hour. Last night Bradley managed almost 34 miles in an hour. (33miles, 1543 plus yards or 54.52 kms.) Respect!

6 comments:

  1. I struggle to keep my tires pumped up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a keen cyclist and part-owner of a cycle shop and have never pumped up any tyres. That's what men are for.

      Delete
  2. My husband bought me a lovely bike about six years ago.It's still sparkling new. I would like to say that is due to the loving care I give it but the truth is I've only done about ten miles on it in total. I tend to ride backwards rather than forwards :) Respect to all bike riders out there! My problem is the mind says 'Yes!' and the legs and bottom say, 'I don't think so!' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Respect Lynne for sticking at it until you got where you wanted. Respect for all bike riders. I'm a wobbler. If ever a car came anywhere near me I would wobble, have to stop and get off. Not great!
    Hope Fox is okay xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fox is not looking too well. He, or she, is very thin and no hair on the tail. Last time this happened it disappeared for a few weeks and returned healthy. I guess someone got medication for it. It's available via a fox website. I may have to get some.

      Delete
  4. My legs ache after reading your post!
    I like cycling, but just the unhurried sort along the back lanes around our village with frequent stops to take photos or to have a chat to dog walkers and other slow cyclists. And I certainly don't go near hills!

    ReplyDelete