Sunday, July 05, 2015

Author, Jane Jackson is a busy woman

Since Jane Jackson last featured on my blog she has been a very busy lady. I certainly cannot keep up with what she is working on so, over to you Jane. Tell us all what you have just finished.

Hi Lynne, and thanks for inviting me back. I finished the second in my Polvellan Cornish Mysteries series, ‘Fallen Hero’ which was released as an ebook in May. I’m thrilled that these contemporary cosy mysteries are proving popular, and not just among Cornish people, though feedback from them has been fantastic. The series grew out of a long short story (I’m a novelist. I don’t do ‘short’ very well!) written for Accent Press’s ‘Wishing on a Star’ Christmas anthology.

And what other projects have you been working on? Just stick to this year. Space is limited!

I started writing a sequel to ‘The Consul’s Daughter,’ my latest full-length historical
romance and 29th published book. I had to break off part way through to do the edits for ‘The Consul’s Daughter.’ Once those were completed, and as I’d stopped anyway, I decided – with my editor’s encouragement - to write the third in the Polvellan series. I’m a planner so I already had a detailed outline. Actually I have synopses for five more. I’ve been working on it since 1st June. It will be about 25,000 words – though I’ve probably written 60,000 - and the end is tantalisingly in sight. Once it’s finished I shall be going back to complete the sequel.

And what’s happening next?

Researching, planning and writing the first of a historical spy-thriller trilogy - and trying to fit in writing the fourth Polvellan story.

 Now you’ve exhausted us all can I ask what you would do if you woke one morning and discovered you were in the middle of an industrial town and could never go home to Cornwall.

That is a really cruel question! As long as I still had my laptop, Kindle, notepads and a supply of pens I’d cope. I would find the location of the nearest national park and the nearest bit of coast, and use my free bus pass to explore both. I would also visit stately homes/gardens. It wouldn’t be Cornwall, but I’d try to appreciate and enjoy their different kind of beauty.

You do so much research – I’ve seen it on your blog – (www.writethepast.co.uk) that you must be a walking encyclopaedia of Cornish knowledge. Have you ever considered writing non-fiction about the county’s history?

The short answer? No. Why? I’m a novelist. My first love is fiction. Besides, I’m blessed - or cursed - with a butterfly mind. When I choose the background for one of my novels, I immerse myself in the location and period. I find out all I can about clothes and hairstyles, furnishings and colour schemes of houses, costs and methods of transport, the price of the food they ate, jobs and professions. Those details help bring the physical world of the story to life. But what’s even more important is to understand the social attitudes of the time. People’s aspirations and emotions haven’t changed. But how they expressed them was governed by the rules of society and what was considered acceptable. So, while I want the (non-fiction) world of my story to be as authentic as possible, the (fictional) people in my story and how they respond to the challenges life throws at them are what fascinate me most. There are so many books I want to write, and with time passing all too quickly I want to spend it doing what I love.


The Consul’s Daughter Accent Press July 2015

Ebook: £2.99

Paperback: £12.99





3 comments:

  1. An inspiring post - thank you both. It is lovely to hear that Jane is living the dream and able to spend all her time immersed in her novel writing. I long for the day :) I will look forward to reading the upcoming spy-thriller stories. Wishing you both a lovely, fun filled and productive summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book looks lovely, and will investigate the blog as well. Great post, thank you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting, thank you very much Lynne and Jane for a very inspiring post. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete