Monday, September 07, 2015

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. Not the book or the film but the length of time I spent at the NAWG (National Association of Writers' Groups) Festival and how I wish it could have been longer. The festival takes place over a weekend at Warwick University and I was guest speaker at the Gala Dinner.

What is lovely about these writing events is getting to meet old friends and make new ones. It’s such an easy thing to do because, unlike ordinary get-togethers where you have to find like-minded people, everyone at a writing event has something in common to start with – writing. Whether they be professionals or beginners or anywhere in-between.

My talk was about my writing career – how it started with selling a reader’s letter and went on from there. The idea was to let everyone know that there are lots of opportunities out there and that writers who want to get on and make a career should never say no to any (legal) writing offer.

After the talk I had the pleasure and honour of handing out the prizes. Congratulations to all those prize winners. I know how tough the competition is because at the very first NAWG festival I was runner-up in the short story section.

Oh, and one final thing that’s important to nearly all writers – the food was excellent. (Even if I did have to look up pithivier and quenelle – the latter being, so Google informed me, French for suppository).  

And another Oh! Don't let writers' groups put you off. You can join even if you're not a member of a group. See www.nawg.co.uk for details.

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like a terrific event. Wish I could have been there. I never knew that about quennels. You live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appear to have found my replacement for Caerleon, Jane. Mind you, the campus was about 100 times bigger.

      Delete
  2. Hope that quennel went down well then. And wish I was there too. Bet you went down a storm. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't you go in 2016, Sue? We should all go and have fun whilst learning.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a lot of fun, Lynne. I bet you caused raucous laughter. Would have loved to have been there. Next year, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great. We could go together.

      Delete
  4. Sounds lovely, Lynne (not sure about the quenelle though!). I would have loved to hear your talk xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant to ask for the recipe, Teresa. Lentil quennelle. It was served in two suppository shapes along with a tiny dish of chutney, a sprig of water cress and an elegant slice of toast (as opposed to a doorstop). Very smooth and tasty as a pate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just Googled it and there are a few recipes. Looks nicer than it sounds! xx

      Delete