Saturday, January 09, 2016

Lynne's Secret diary - into reading, writing but not Meccano



Aged 9 years and 22 days

Miss Tipper and Miss Duignan were both inspiring teachers though even the amazing Miss Tipper couldn’t interest me in sewing. There’s a little sensible editing going on in this entry. When mentioning the sewing lesson I wrote – ‘We have not had it for a few weeks.’ What was omitted was a huge HURRAY! I really wanted to add this in enormous curly capitals, using a bright red pen.
As for The Mystery Of The Golden Earings, was this a book I began reading or could it have been a story I started writing? Either is possible but I can’t remember now though I still remember the book Miss Duignan sent me. It was about a group of children in a big empty house where there was a chest you could climb into and then open a trapdoor which led down to caves and the kids caught the smugglers without the help of police or any other adults.
The hospital stay mentioned was when I had ‘plastic surgery’ on my face. I’d made a complete mess of it in an accident. I’d mastered riding my bicycle with no hands on the handlebars and thought I could master an added extra. No hands on the bars plus no feet on the pedals. It was such a shame the road had been re-gravelled only the day before. That gravel came to the surface of my skin for over two years and then I had the op’ to cover a gash in the eyebrow, another from my nose to my mouth and then to open my left eye by lifting the lid which had been cut in half when I fell. Nothing was done about the hole I’d bitten right through my tongue. It now looks as if I opted out halfway through a piercing.
I no longer have The Young Detectives but I remember the words Miss Duignan had written inside the cover – ‘To Lynne, hoping you’ll soon be back, looking beautiful.’

As for the Meccano, I was as talented at that as I was at sewing.

11 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny looking back at our writing from when we were children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely teachers - I love what Miss Duignan wrote in your book xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was junior school and it's there that my future was formed. That was down to these two teachers who didn't laugh when I said I was going to be the next Enid Blyton and who always encouraged me.

      Delete
  3. It's lovely to remember the teachers. They don't always get the credit they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. they don't, because most people are complaining about the bad teachers. I owe so much to these two.This was back when teaching was a vocation.

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of the mystery book with the chest and the trap door. Always fancied being a child-catcher of criminals, like the Famous Five. Friends and I would 'keep an eye out' for suspicious people during the school holidays and look for clues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you belong to a secret group like The Secret Seven or the Famous Five? We would follow anyone suspicious. One real mystery was discovering a jar filled with deadly nightshade. We never found out who was responsible for that one but we put it in the bin before it could be used to murder someone.

      Delete
  5. I adored those sort of books and still credit Enid Blyton for my love of reading. Once started I couldn't put them down. Gosh what a nasty accident and what a lot to endure at that age. Thank goodness for those lovely teachers :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much bad publicity about Enid but she is responsible for so many children learning to enjoy reading.

      Delete
  6. I hated sewing too. One year we had to make a skirt. Mine looked more like an A line rag. It swiftly went in the public bin on the way home. Far too embarrassed to take my efforts home. I've not improved in that area but have located several seamstresses near home :)
    Great post, Lynne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a skirt too. I had to stand on the desk and do a twirl in front of the class and that's when the pleats fell out of the waistband!

      Delete