1. You need to be born on the same day as your partner. (We were both born on February 6th.)
2. Your ages need to add up to 134. (I told everyone he was 100. I was 34.)
3. You invite friends and family to a drop-in day. ‘Drop in any time between 11am and 4pm,’ you tell everyone.
4. You plan easy food – cheese and biscuits and drinks.
5. You order a selection of cheeses from a deli. The expert behind the counter tells you how much you need for thirty to forty people. You decide you know better and double the amount.
6. You tidy the house the day before.
7. On the morning you lay the table and wonder if there’s enough cheese.
8. From 11am to 11.30 you sit and worry whether anyone will turn up.
9. Just after 11.30 guests start arriving. It’s time to relax.
10. You have a fantastic time and (hopefully) so does everyone else.
11.Someone decides it would be a good idea to end the day with a curry. A couple of guests say they’ll come with you.
12. By 5pm everyone has gone, except lovely daughter and great son-in-law who are staying the night. They help tidy up.
13. You realise the guy at the deli was right and wonder what to do with a barrow load of left-over cheese.
14. You laugh so much over curry that you need Rennies at bed-time.
15. The birthday couple (me and the Long Suffering One) go to sleep dreaming of our wonderful day and being grateful for all the good friends we have.