Saturday, March 26, 2016

My Dad, the gangster - from my secret diary (aged 9 yrs, 1 month and 11 days)

As you’ll see from this page of my school diary I hated to bore the teacher. I actually remember thinking, when I wrote this, whether it was suitable for Miss Tipper. She probably thought it was another of my ‘stories’ but it wasn’t. Dad did get that note. I was the one who found it when I went to see if we’d had any post. My maiden name (doesn’t that sound quaint – maiden?) was Butcher, hence Dad being addressed as Butch. I did a bit of sleuthing and think Slasher was my Uncle Ron who wasn’t an uncle but all Dad’s friends were uncles to me back then. Lizzie was the car and Tanser's tyres were well known in Kidderminster.

This gave me an easy picture to draw. Miss Tipper probably wondered why we didn't have any furniture in our 'front room'. We did but it was too difficult to draw.
And the the lady who told us to 'clear off'. I don't know who she was but I promise I didn't send Butch and Slasher round to sort her out. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh, ha ha, Miss Tipper sounds quite funny, sorry if she's reading this. You must have made her smile with that one, Lynne. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Tipper died years ago. I was still at junior school when she retired and would go to visit her. She also taught my Dad so would have appreciated this information about him.

      Delete
  2. I love your diary reminiscences Lynne. I'll bet Miss Tipper did too wondering what you'd come up with next. She wouldn't be at all surprised you made writing your career I'm sure, and very successfully too :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Tipper had great faith in my writing abilities and was one of the two teachers who most influenced me. The other was a Miss Duignan. Both were junior school teachers.

      Delete
  3. I bet Miss Tipper was scared to death at what you'd write next :) I reckon you should work your diary entries into a book. It'd sell millions of copies and most definitely give the Whimpy Kid a run for his money :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, Nic. I thought she looked for ward to my entries, as long as I didn't libel the Headmaster!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous! That diary is a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. I've only ever used it for this blog. I'm so glad my mother saved the diary.

      Delete