Saturday, April 23, 2016

Lynne's secret diary - aged nine years and exactly one month

Editing wasn’t taught at school. I had to learn about it much later.
If I had edited this piece there would not have been that repetition in the second sentence – 
On the way we bought some sweets and ate them on the way.
And there’s another lesson for writers here. We’ll often write about what we know and assume everyone else knows too. Why would Miss Tipper know who Susan and David were? I should have added a few words to say they were my cousins and much younger than me.

My first thought was that this entry was a bit on the boring side but Auntie Beryl still lives in that house at Stourport. I clearly remember going to see those foundations. So this is a little bit of family history.

9 comments:

  1. Great story. It's been a while since I've visited Stourport. I love your little flowers spotted across the hill :) Have a lovely weekend, Lynne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another gem. Beautiful writing and drawing - and a couple of wise tips for writers as well :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoided putting any builders in the picture. I always tried to avoid adding people and once we had to draw a horse and cart. I only put in the back end of the horse. The rest of him was off the page.

      Delete
  3. Lovely writing and drawing and it's great your aunt still lives in the house :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be anything like her. We've moved house sixteen times.

      Delete
  4. That's lovely. You could take a picture of the house now, your aunt, and your page. Would be lovely for the local paper. History as you say. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Sainted aunt would hate that. In fact she no longer speaks to me for showing myself up on Deal Or No Deal.

      Delete
  5. We often went to Stourport for a day out and a picnic. I've lots of memories of the place.
    You know, I'd never really seen old school writing books as a family history resource! Doh! But what a brilliant thought. I shall go and dig out mine and read them through with a completely different mindset! Thanks for that, Lynne.

    ReplyDelete