Saturday, April 30, 2016

Writing Weather

It’s been perfect writing weather. We’ve had high winds, snow, sleet and hail. In-between there’s been some cold sunshine. Great weather for sitting at my desk, central heating on and getting on with some work.
I’m a lucky writer because I get a regular income from my columns, or features as Anita Loughrey prefers now. A column sounds just that – a column. A feature will cover a whole page, or even two. I’m now selling stories again too. Three in the past fortnight.
Years ago, an editor from a D C Thomson magazine phoned me to ask if I had any stories for him. He was short of them. I was out of breath when I answered the phone and he asked if I’d run in from the garden. I told him no. I’d run upstairs. Then he told me that he got fewer stories in summer because most of his writers were part-timers or hobby writers and were out in the garden during the summer months. There’s a tip for you – send off some stories this summer.

TOUCH BUTT
Q.  Where would you expect to see those words and what do they mean to you?



A.  They were on a M&S till receipt and they were short for A Touch Of Butter.    

9 comments:

  1. Great to hear your writing news, Lynne. I had to giggle at Touch Butt! Maybe it's a marketing strategy :) So sad to hear the news of BHS going under. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lovely weekend - Malvern renamed the well dressing as Malvern Water Festival and they got what they asked for. We got water in the form of rain, hail, sleet and snow.

      Delete
  2. Great news about your short story sales. Touch Butt, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news about your short story sales. Touch Butt, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely find it easier to write in the winter but try to keep going when the sun is shining (I write on the swing chair in the gsrden)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bank Holidays must be some of the most productive writing days for writers then ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those BHs over the years. Parents dragging me around in sub-zero conditions - and that's only August.

      Delete
  6. TouchButt love it.

    Congrats on the acceptances - that's wonderful news :-) xx

    ReplyDelete